This is an extension of Igala Wordnet to accommodate other Nigerian languages into the Igalapedia Project. The project is a collaborative network for Indigenous Language Research and Development initiated as part of Igalapedia. The Nigerian WordNet was born out of studies and research carried out on the English wordNet (lexical database of English) for development of Igala language while applying techniques acquired from field of engineering studies. This is to create a large lexical database of Igala and many other Nigerian languages for cross dialect studies and understanding the pattern of Nigerian indigenous languages.
The program has been written and the simulation copy is been tested on Igala language with parts of speech, figure of speech and words structure been grouped into sets of cognitive synonyms (synsets), each expressing a distinct concept. Synsets are interlinked by means of conceptual-semantic and lexical relations. The resulting network of meaningfully related words and concepts can be navigated with the browser on the Igalapedia project.
The Nigeria WordNet has features to accommodate as many languages that can be uploaded to the server and needless to do a fresh work on drafting pages for a new language been uploaded either in bit or in bulk. This is also to document, preserve and promote the writing and reading of African languages among the present and future generation of Igala children. We aimed to:
- Creating a platform were Nigerian children can analyse indigenous language words and also correlate what there have with some other Nigerian languages.
- Creating a centralized system where Nigerian languages can be compared and analysed for studies.
- Encourage future generation of Nigerian children (Most especially those living outside their home) to learn how to speak their mother language with ease through the services and on desktop application.
- The concept of the work is to build an unified Nigerian language dictionary.
- Each and every bit of word in the Nigerian WordNet can be analysed to the last drop of its properties.
- Everybody from anywhere in the world can have free opportunity to learn any Nigerian language on the net.
- Every individuals can provide Igala translation to English word / phrases at will.
- Every individuals can contest the translation provided by some other person on the net. This can be done making use of our comment field.
- Language professionals can provide corrections to available vocabularies online, students and researchers can browse our website for collecting materials to improve their works on Nigerian and other African languages.
- Every individuals can improve his understanding of Igala Language through our learning tools.
Status and Materials
- The programs for piloting the Nigeria WordNet has been written in PHP web development language and is currently been used for building Igala dictionary.
- The current state of the program is capable of accommodating any number of language that we can upload to database while the lesson pages will be dynamically generated with articles based on the items filled up on the respective database columns for that particular language.
- 7800 every days spoken English words, phrases have been upload as a primary reference for all new coming languages.
- 3902 Igala words have been uploaded with translation to 2800 English words.
- The database table is 100% readily available to receive any number of languages of the world while our programs are waiting with queries to transform them into classes.